Friday, May 6, 2011

Catching up.

I don't think I even blogged on Easter. *yikes*!! At anyrate, I hope you all had a fabulous Easter! I helped the kids dye easter eggs. We did glitter this year. It was, erm, a mess of sorts. But, the eggs came out goreous and sparkley, SEE:



The kids were up bright and early. Ethan still fit into his last years outfit so he wore it again (what can I say? I am cheap, and don't like to waste?) lol

Ethan, as usual, is more interested in his sister's things. The Easter Bunny decided a toy for each was better than a bunch of candy. So Ethan got his beloved Thomas trains, and MiMi some play makeup.

Yep, my hardwords are torn up, I need to sand and refinish them at some point. I have too many other projects in the meantime though.

It's been a very long week. I mean VERY. The bamboo in our yard is getting out of hand. (thanks previous owners for hiding the fact you had a bamboo problem). We bought the house in the fall when the bamboo ceases to grow. That spring we were in for some kind of aweful surprise when we had 100 baby canes over night. We've been battling the 'boo' for near 7 years now.

Saturday, Doug ran over 65ish canes. (and you will want to run them over with the mower before they get too big, it's easier to lawn mow them than cut them with a machete once they harden). Three days later I ran over 100 :( No lie, I counted each one. :( It's a mess.

The stuff grows all kinds of crazy like. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but if you have the wrong kind it gets out of control, it is impossible to kill. IMPOSSIBLE. Now that it has spread to the properties behind us, we will never eradicate it. It's a nightmare.

Here is a beautiful cane from my yard I photographed:

and here is a video I took to show you how many baby canes sprout in just a few days.

To give you an idea, those tiny baby bamboo culms you are seeing in my video grew overnight, it takes 4 days for them to become a full shoot taller than 6 foot and two weeks to become taller than a 1.5 story home. It's nuts! It grows every two days, you have to mow it constantly or it will get out of hand.

So, that is my nightmare as a home owner. If anyone has experience with running bamboo or how to TRULY eradicate it (I don't want advice unless you've battled it yourself) because we have tried everything, and so far nothing works. But if you know, please feel free to comment, I would super appreciate any helpful advice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment