Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas toy hunting is work, ya'll..


I decided, I would make this blog entry about Christmas.

More specifically - the children's wants. AND by children, I mostly mean my daughter. She has such expensive taste. I wouldn't mind splurging on a high end item (c'mon it's the one time of year I do)- BUT, the thought of it collecting dust in the corner of her room makes me worry.

This year (aside her main wants; a bike & easy bake oven - which my awesome sister bought for her). She has had her eyes set on a Barbie dream house.



Yet, this decision changes daily.

One day she wants it so bad.

The next day she decides it's not her cup of tea.

But mostly she wants it.

AND?

It's NOT cheap. Toys R Us wanted 179 for it. Wal Mart doesn't even carry it in the stores by me. Don't even get me started on the greedy ebayers, who take advantage of parents in a shiest economy, they want it for outrageous prices (I hope you all get stuck with no buyers).

I even searched Craigslist. I didn't care if it was 5 or more years old, if it was cheaper and in great condition, they could of considered it sold! MY KID WOULD NEVER KNOW anyway. But no, those folks are wanting an arm and a leg as well. K mart had it advertised for 135. So, I headed to K Mart today.

What a glorious headache that was. I spent 30 minutes looking over the toy isle and end caps. EVERY SINGLE ISLE like 3 x just to be sure, ya know?

After no success I couldn't find an employee (like many giant retailers, they under staff to save $$, but fail to realize it does the opposite, because customers get frustrated and would rather spend more at a more convenient store). I head to the customer service desk and ask if there is a way to search a toys location, OR if it is even in stock. The woman, seems entirely too bothered by this question and says "did you look bla bla and bla bla bla".

"Yes, ma'am, I looked everywhere 3 x over, along with trying to find a floor associate, can you please page someone or look the item up for me"?

"Look one more time".

Rude, much? Yes..

I am not much outspoken so I shrug and walk off and look again, EVERYWHERE. Then again, I try to find an employee. I find one and ask what I should do to find this item. She looks confused, like I asked her a super hard question.

"never mind, thanks anyway"..

I go to the jewelry counter and apologize to the girl for asking her as I know it is not her dept. but continue with, "I apologize, but is there a way you can page someone to the toy dept, I have gone to the CS desk and asked another person, with no help".

She pages someone to the toy dept. She doesn't say anything else and seemed annoyed that I interrupted her conversation with a friend who was visiting with her.

I start to get peeved and wonder how with an economy FULL of people who WANT work, people like this get hired.

I saunter back to the toy dept and wait..and wait..

ANNNND WAAAAIT...20 minutes later, with no show, I am just extremely in a foul mood by now. (The store wasn't even busy, AT ALL). But I am stubborn and go to electronics to ask that associate if they can help me find SOME ONE who can help with my needs. SHE WAS NICE! She paged some one (who also did not show) and then she just found someone to help me. The girl tried, but it was not her department.

Alas, I learn they never carried it to begin with.

DEAR LORD, K MART, you are a piece of work, and you wasted an hour of my life and frustrated me to no ends (minus your two nice employees who DID try).

The girl told me I could get a rain check at the CS desk if the item ever did become available. The thought crossed my mind, but by this time I was so aggravated I decided the 20 bucks wasn't worth EVER stepping foot in K Mart again. SERIOUSLY.

All this could of been simply avoided had the CS desk woman looked or called someone to see if this item was even carried. and WHY does our local ad that JUST came out yesterday say it was available?

Never mind that, I am just sure of a few things:
Stores do NOT save money by under staffing and under training and
I will NEVER go to K mart again (or at least for a few months). I'll just stick with price matching at Wally World or Target.

I did find a nice bundle package on Wally's website for $169, and I am giving myself a DAY to think it over. Surely, my daughter may change her mind again, or will be thrilled to see how many OTHER toys she can get for that same price. But again, I always remember wanting something similar in the 80's but of course, we were a one income military house hold and it was out of the question (I even think back then they were twice the price they are now) :)

Oh, Barbie dream house, you are so overrated, and if for some reason my daughter DOES get you from Santa, you better be a valued toy ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment